Out & About
Splendid as they are, there is a lot more to Royan than just the beaches and you should certainly take the time to visit some of the nearby towns and villages, explore the countryside, take in some of the tourist attractions and of course try some local cognacs.....
Here is a selection of things to do on a visit to Royan:
- Take the ferry from Royan across the Gironde to the vineyards and chateaux of the Medoc
- Visit the Zoo at La Palmyre, probably the finest zoo in France
- Walk along the seafront and admire the Belle Epoque villas that still remain as glimpse of what Royan was like in 1900.
- Go to the village of Talmont and stand by the church perched on a cliff top and watch the early evening sun set into the Atlantic Ocean.
- Visit Saintes – Roman history plus a sophisticated town where you can wander along the banks of the Charente river.
- La Rochelle – arguably the prettiest city in France – great shopping, an ancient port and enough good restaurants to keep you busy for a month or more.
- The market in Royan is the best in Charente-Maritime and is open most days. Just wandering around seeing stalls offering an amazing variety of fish, meat, cheese, fruit and vegetables is a fantastic experience.
- Eat oysters – the area around Royan is famous for producing oysters and mussels.
- Cycle along the coastal path which stretches for miles and varies from seafront promenade (with its own cycle lane) to tracks through the pine forest with regular glimpses of the sea.
- Cognac and Pineau tasting – Royan is within the Appelation Cognac Controlee area and there are lots of local distilleries that offer tastings.
Ile de Ré, Ile d'Oléron, Bordeaux and Cognac are all close by as are vineyards, oyster beds, the Gironde and small fishing ports. Great restaurants, markets and friendly people.
Download the Guide to make sure you know the best places to visit with full descriptions, locations, opening times, any entry fees and much more useful information.